Sunday, November 30, 2008

On a cold November evening...

Last night I decided to head out around 8:00pm to try and get a decent star trails photo because the moon was almost non-existent. My plan was try to go out to Washoe Lake but as I was on the freeway I decided to stay on I-80 and head west.

I ended up at the Floriston exit a few miles before Truckee. There are these big tunnels you need to go through to make your way up the mountain. So after exploring my options I picked out a spot. I didn't realize how close I was to the train tracks though, so it was a interesting experience having a train sneak up on you in the middle of the woods when it's practically pitch black outside.

But once the train passed by I setup my equipment. The end result consisted of roughly 45 minutes worth of 30 second exposures. The exception to that was this photo I captured of a car driving through the tunnel. I didn't include it in the star trails stacking because it would of thrown off the exposure way too much. But by itself it is an interesting photo.



So excluding the above photo, this is the star trails photo I captured.



Also I decided to turn my photos into a small AVI file which you can view at http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidduffy/3069727703/.

Please let me know what you think. Comments are always appriciated. To see more of my photos please go to my Flickr account http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidduffy/.

Until next time...
Mr. Dizzel

2 comments:

Rosie has a secret said...

Both photos are fantastic :) I'm glad I ran across them!

Paula Pennell and George Russell said...

Hi, As I was surfing the blog I came across your last post with the great photos. Thanks! I'll be sure to check back! Paula